Canadian artist and writer, Nana Cook, Lives in Nanoose Bay. Although she is known for her passion for painting the American Southwest – a land she has loved and explored since childhood, Nana is also compelled to paint the dramatic beauty surrounding her home in the Pacific northwest, and has created an extensive and provocative body of work featuring the region’s extraordinary arbutus trees.
Nana worked in the arts, for over twenty years before beginning to paint in 1997. She currently works primarily in Acrylics as the quick drying medium makes an ideal choice for her spontaneous plein air painting while traveling and it gives her the control she desires in her purposeful and precise studio work. Dramatic color, exciting perspective, humour,spirituality and thought provoking subjects dominate her work.
Nana’s first exhibit was with her mother, Southwest artist Charlotte Madison. The show held in 2003 was titled, ” women on the Loose: an exhibit of Southwest Art”, in reference to the annual mother and daughter painting trips they take to Arizona and new Mexico. in 2009″women on the Loose II: Three generations” included Nana’s Daughter, Morgan A Cook.
Since her exhibit Nana has shown her paintings in numerous exhibits in Canada, the USA, and China and her work is in the permanent collection of the Shanghai Duolun Museum of Modern art in China.
Nana Cook is a member of the Art gallery of Greater Victoria, the Nanaimo Art Gallery, the Old School House Arts Centre and the Mountain Artists guild in Prescott, Arizona.
Showings and Exhibitions:
- 2010 TD Art Gallery Paint-In
- 2010 Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
- Art in Fashion and Bloom – The Old School House Arts Centre, Qualicum Beach
- National Winter Juried Art Show – The Old School House Arts Centre, Qualicum Beach, B.C.
- Grand Opening Group Show – Gallery Artists Artfitterz, Nanaimo, B.C.
- 2009 Women on the Loose II , Three Generations – The Old School House Arts Centre, Qualicum Beach, B.C.
- Sidney Fine Art Show – Sidney, B.C.
- 22nd Annual Moss Street Paint In – Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
- Summer Small Works – Art Gallery of Greater Victoria
- Les Fleurs au Printemps – The Old School House Arts Centre, Qualicum Beach, B.C.
- Cottages – The Old School House Arts Centre, Qualicum Beach, B.C.
- 2008 Sidney Fine Art Show – Sidney, B.C.
- Sooke Fine Arts Show – Sooke, B.C.
- 2007 Artfest 2007, Originals Only – Nanaimo, BC
- Originals Only 2007 – Comox, BC
- 2006 Artsfest 2006, Nanaimo’s Originals Only – Nanaimo, BC
- Some Art – Artist Space, Nanaimo, BC
- Momentum – Contemporary Works by Chinese & Canadian Women Artists – Nanaimo Art Gallery, Campus Location, Nanaimo, BC
- Urban Eyes – Nanaimo Art Gallery/Artist Space,Nanaimo, BC
- Art Inspired by the American Southwest – Cook Studio Gallery, Nanoose Bay, BC
- 2004 Women’s Declaration – Shanghai Duolun Modern Art Museum, Shanghai, China.
- 2003 Women on the Loose: An Exhibit of Southwest Art Rogue’s Gallery, Parksville, BC.
-Island Arts Magazine- Feature Artist
-Momentum – Contemporary Works by Chinese and Canadian Women Artists
-Women’s Declaration – Contemporary Women Artists’ Exhibition
-Travelers’ Tales Guides Grand Canyon: True Stories of Life Below the Rim
-G.B. and the Strange Canadian Painter Lady
-Delta Community Arts Council: An Illustrated Directory of Delta Artists Anniversary Edition 1969 – 1989
Associations: Mountain Artists Guild – Prescott, Arizona Art Gallery of Greater Victoria – Victoria, B.C. Nanaimo Art Gallery – Nanaimo, B.C. The Old School House Arts Centre – Qualicum Beach, B.C.